Duxbury Shore, PP Br. to Howlands Landing - Sat. 7/23/11

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Duxbury Shore, PP Br. to Howlands Landing - Sat. 7/23/11

Post by norm »

This was another last minute trip, posted Friday afternoon for Saturday afternoon. I planned to keep it simple, didn't want to travel far, so I chose Duxbury. The problem was that high tide was at about 6:00. With the weather being so nice, I was afraid there would be no parking at Powder Point bridge at 3:00pm. So, when it was clear that it would be three of us, Bea, Karen and I, I suggested we meet at Bea's house and consolidate vehicles and just use my truck. I figured I could probably make a space if needed with 4 wheel drive and higher ground clearance. It turned out that is what we had to do since the lot was full when we arrived.

While we were unloading our boats from the truck and getting ready to go, we met a woman who was staying in a cottage nearby that lived close enough to bring her sea kayak to the beach by cart. Bea and Karen invited Chris to join us and she did. Our plan was to paddle south to Standish Shores. We headed south across Duxbury Bay toward Eagles Nest Point on Standish Shores.

Chris, Bea and Karen.

As we got close to Eagles Nest Point, someone, I think it was Bea, mentioned that there was a creek you could paddle into and a bridge you could go under. I guess this is Eagles Nest Creek. We decided to go in and take a look. This brings you in toward the Standish Monument.

As we got in the calm waters, we came across this father and son in a sit-on-top kayak. The father was showing the son how to paddle.

We went under the bridge and up into the creek a little way and then came back out.

Karen, Chris and Bea at the Eagles Nest Creek bridge.

We came across this common tern on a mooring ball.

There were a lot of people out enjoying a beautiful summer afternoon. We came across this group swimming off their boat.

We continued around Standish Shores admiring the homes.

This house looks like it is barely above sea level.

I tried to get a close-up shot of the top of the Standish Monument, but I guess Myles is facing inland.

We decided our furthest destination point would be Howland's Landing where we knew we could stop to stretch our legs at the public boat ramp.

We stayed for 15 minutes or so and then headed back north, hugging the shoreline more closely on the way back. This brought us closer to the boats of the Duxbury Yacht Club.

And where there are boats and docks, there are sea gulls to mess them up.

There are quite a variety of boats at this club, power, sail, large, small, new and old.

We decided to visit the Bluefish River on the way back. Chris said good bye and left us at this point to head back to the take-out.

On a point of land as you head into the river, there is a house with perfectly shaped trees. I wonder if they need to have these trees pruned to keep their shape this perfect.

We went under a little bridge and came across a bird in tall grass. I forget what Karen said it was so I looked it up in a bird book when I got home. I think it is a Green-backed Heron.

We headed back under the little bridge.

On the way out of the Bluefish River, there was another tern on a mooring ball. I believe this one is a Least Tern because it has white across the forehead.

Karen and Bea heading back to Powder Point with the sun setting on their backs.

There were still people out playing in their boats. This one was towing a tube with a couple of kids on it that were still having fun. They were even able to wave to us.

These people found a unique way to store their kayaks.

The traffic was dying down on Powder Point Bridge.

I always get a kick out of this no trespassing sign when the tide comes in.

Here is a topo map of the area with our route highlighted.

A few statistics from the trip:

Launch time: 3:25pm
Stopped at Howlands Landing: 5:30pm
Distance to Howlands Landing: 5.1 miles
Take out time: 7:50pm
Total Distance: 10.9 miles

Thanks for joining me Bea and Karen. Nice to meet you Chris.

Ok Bea, you can add your pictures now. Sorry it took me so long to get this report done.
NorwayLady

Re: Duxbury Shore, PP Br. to Howlands Landing - Sat. 7/23/1

Post by NorwayLady »

Karen, Norm and me at the Powder Point launch spot
Karen, Norm and me at the Powder Point launch spot
IMG_2720.JPG (159.15 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
Chris in a field of oyster bed markers. Duxbury Bay is world famous for their oysters
Chris in a field of oyster bed markers. Duxbury Bay is world famous for their oysters
IMG_2723.JPG (110.52 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
Break
Break
IMG_2739.JPG (218.22 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
Break
Break
IMG_2741.JPG (163.04 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
We can see the French Bakery from  the water....but how do we get there!!!!
We can see the French Bakery from the water....but how do we get there!!!!
IMG_2749.JPG (85.71 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
Karen and Norm under the bridge at Bluefish river
Karen and Norm under the bridge at Bluefish river
IMG_2759.JPG (143.22 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
Picture perfect estate
Picture perfect estate
IMG_2761.JPG (117.29 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
Karen and Norm back at the put in. The beach crowd is gone.
Karen and Norm back at the put in. The beach crowd is gone.
IMG_2766.JPG (121.75 KiB) Viewed 6563 times
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
Birdseye

Re: Duxbury Shore, PP Br. to Howlands Landing - Sat. 7/23/1

Post by Birdseye »

You guys were all around my sailboat. It's in the area of the pictures with the seagull close-ups.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue