Powder Point to Gurnet Light - Sunday April 30, 2006

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

Birdseye

Powder Point to Gurnet Light - Sunday April 30, 2006

Post by Birdseye »

<center>Image</center>

The original plan was to put in at Nelson Beach in Plymouth on Sunday and paddle out to the end of Plymouth Beach and then across to Gurnet Light on the Southern tip of Saquish Village. My only taker so far was Ron Wiik with Chip Hebert as a possible last minute show (but ended up as a no show). While checking out the NSPN message board I noticed that Chip Weier (I can't believe I actually know two people that go by the name Chip), who I paddled with to Graves Light last year, had posted a Show and Go for a South Shore destination on the same weekend. I sent him an email and told him of our plans and he decided to join us.

There was an offshore storm and 15-20 mph winds, gale force gusts and 5-9 foot seas were predicted for the entire weekend so we would need to watch the weather closely. Before the daily yard chores on Saturday I decided to take a ride down to Plymouth to see what the conditions were like. The flags were out straight, there were whitecaps everywhere and the sea had that mean green look that said "Go ahead, make my day!" But the day was bright and clear and the temperature was perfect for paddling. I headed home hoping that things would settle down a bit for Sunday.

<center>Image</center>

Sunday came but the predictions hadn't changed. Our launch time was scheduled for 1 pm so I took another ride to Duxbury Beach this time. There was plenty of wind and waves on the beach side but the Bay side was quite a bit more docile. Ron's cell was out of range so I contacted Chip with an update on the conditions. We agreed that it might be a better idea to launch from Powder Point in Duxbury Bay and head out past Clarks Island to Saquish Head. Although this route was 3NM further, we would be able to assess the conditions on the Plymouth side of the Head and make our decision from there. If the conditions weren't right at least the day wouldn't be a total loss. I was finally able to get through to Ron and told him the change of plans.

<center>Image</center>

We all arrived at Powder Point on time and were on the water by 1 PM. We headed Southeast across Duxbury Bay with a stiff wind coming from the Northeast making tracking a little labor some for Ron and I in our Capella RMs. Chip was having an easier time in his Explorer which is known for having good tracking. Three quarters of the way across we headed more South and the paddling became easier. There were plenty of waves to catch which was not only exciting for me but it also seemed to excite my boat. Every time we caught a nice one her skeg would rattle with joy like a dogs tail when he greets his master. We paddled around the Eastern side of Clarks Island and reached Saquish Head, a little over 3 NM from the launch site in an hours time. We took a short walk to the North side of the Head to find the seas looking less threatening than they did on Saturday and we all agreed to continue on.

<center>Image</center>

Rounding Saquish Head we found the sea more confused but before long we were experiencing longer swells and some chop. Gurnet Light was now in our sites and the paddling was enjoyable. As we neared the 40 foot high cliff that is the home of Gurnet Light the sea became calmer and I thought this was a good opportunity to take a few pictures. Ron was up ahead of me and apparently had the same idea. I had never been out to this lighthouse before and was a little disappointed to see that it was surrounded by homes and you could only get a clear view of it if you were in the right spot or happened to be atop a nice swell. I took a couple of shots then put my camera back in the day hatch and caught up with the Ron and Chip. The Gurnet Light ambassador in the form of a gray seal popped his head out to welcome us but as I reached back to get my camera he disappeared. He popped up again, I turned to get my camera and he disappeared again. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

Unfortunately, there didn't seem to be a good landing spot that would easily facilitate checking out the Lighthouse at closer range. At the bottom of the sheer cliff face was a beach filled with boulders, most of which were 8 to 10 inches or larger. I commented to the others how calm the water had become although we could see some nice surf breaking on the Southeastern side of the point. I decided to get closer to shore to see if it would be possible to land there but as I reached the shores edge the swells told me it wouldn't be an easy task. Chip was about 15 yards away and Ron about 30 when 3 good sized waves came out of nowhere. I saw Chip turn into the second one and paddle further out while I started to back paddle to get away from the rocks. The first one picked me up and moved me back closer and I back paddled again just far enough away to have the second wave break on my starboard side. With not enough time to turn I kept back paddling until the third wave passed under me. Needless to say, that was a little exhilarating! We paddled into the beach on Saquish Neck and took another short break and a few more pictures. I never realized how barren the Neck is and in some places it almost looks like the desert.

<center>Image</center>

The paddle back is what I now call the "price you have to pay for the adventure of the destination." There were a lot of corrective strokes and skeg adjustments until we rounded Saquish Head and now with the wind and outgoing tide against us the paddle past Clarks Island seemed like it took forever. But we were headed into the wind and it was easy to keep a good cadence. We took no break during the entire return trip and the distances between us grew as we all zoned in on the Powder Point Bridge and became paddling machines. It was the second paddle of the season for all of us and a demanding one at that. We were all happy to reach the beach and even happier to have helping hand putting our boats back on our cars.

But the trip was a good one even though Gurnet Light was not the attraction I'd hoped it would be. We'll just have to try it again another time with better conditions and more time for exploration.

<a href="http://www.wtpaddlers.org/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_thumbs;p=Gurnet%20Light%204-30-06%20(Ron's%20Pics)"><b>Ron's Photos</b></a>
<a href="http://www.wtpaddlers.org/cgi-bin/pro/emAlbum.cgi?c=show_thumbs;p=Gurnet%20Light%204-30-06%20(Nelson's%20Photos)"><b>Nelson's Photos</b></a>

Approx Distance: 11.5 NM (13.3 SM)
Total Trip Time: 4hrs 25min[/img]
Last edited by Birdseye on Wed May 03, 2006 4:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Chip

Post by Chip »

Long trip. You guys must have been beat at the end of that one.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Ron

Post by Ron »

Nice report Nelson. Chip, all I can say is that at the end I would have put money on my paddle weighing 45 pounds.
Image P&H Cetus HV
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

One of you Chips is going to have to change your name. I found that really confusing, because I didn't know if Chip Hebert was on the trip till I read his reply.

Sounds like it was quite a trip!!
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Great report. Sounds like fun
Chip

Post by Chip »

Ron wrote:Nice report Nelson. Chip, all I can say is that at the end I would have put money on my paddle weighing 45 pounds.

Ron,
It's ONNO paddle. Google it. He makes paddles well under 45lbs. :lol:

Seriously, it may have made a difference on that trip.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Chip W

Post by Chip W »

Great trip report Nelson, thanks for coordinating the day. It was great to get some distance in despite the last few miles of pain.

Chip W. (hopefully the W. is enough of a difference?)
NDK Explorer
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

sweier wrote:Chip W. (hopefully the W. is enough of a difference?)

If it's good enough for the leader of the free world, it's good enough for us.

Can we call you "Dubya"?
:D
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

pat wrote:
sweier wrote:Chip W. (hopefully the W. is enough of a difference?)

If it's good enough for the leader of the free world, it's good enough for us.

Can we call you "Dubya"?
:D

I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

All photos are up. See links at bottom of trip report.