CRCK Cold Water Clinic - 11/12/11

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

CRCK Cold Water Clinic - 11/12/11

Post by norm »

Five turkeys participated in a cold water clinic at Charles River Canoe and Kayak (CRCK) in Newton on Saturday, November 12th.

I'm not sure who was the first to find this clinic or who told me about it, but I thought it would be a good learning opportunity and a chance to try out a top quality Kokatat dry suit. The class was supposed to be full according to the CRCK website, so we never bothered to publicize it on the WTP website. It turned out that 4 people cancelled and there were just 6 attendees.

The class started out in the CRCK classroom (under renovation) with a few hours of discussion about hypothermia and how to dress properly for cold water paddling. The classroom was not heated and was a little chilly, so we took our lunch break out on the dock in the sunshine. After lunch, we were given the opportunity to try a Kokatat dry suit or use our own gear for a swim in the 48 degree water of the Charles River. Sue and I chose to try Kokatat suits. Jordan and Tracey used their own dry suits and Bea chose to use all the cold water separates that she recently purchased.

Bea in all of her new gear.

Sue in a demo dry suit.

Tracey and Jordan in their dry suits.

The whole gang of turkeys.

Jordan and Tracey with the sixth participant in the class, Deborah.

The class moved over to the grass beside the boat house where we could step into the water where it was just a couple feet deep. Our instructor, Kevin, gave us instructions on what we'd be doing. They also had a safety boater in the water, Christian, in case anyone had problems. The plan was to wade into the water and walk out to a depth where we could float around till we could feel the cold. Then we'd get out of the water, warm up for a few minutes and then go back into the water to see how much quicker the cold is felt when you've already been cooled down once.

Kevin giving us instructions.

Sue walking into the water.

Tracey getting into the water with Bea and Jordan getting their hats and gloves on in the background.

Sue with Kevin giving instructions on how to burp the air out of the dry suit.

Sue floating around.

Sue, Deborah and Jordan floating around.

Tracey.

Deborah and Bea.

Looks like Sue is starting to cool off.

Kevin demonstrating a method to get your extremities out of the water if you have a boat nearby.

Deborah, Bea and Jordan look like they are cooling down. Curling up as much as possible and keeping your hands out of the water was definitely the warmest position.

Sue, Jordan and Tracey getting up to get out of the water.

After getting out for a few minutes, we got back in the water again for more of the same. The coldness of the water was noticeable more quickly on the second trip into the water.

Next we were given the option of trying the dry gear in our boats and doing rolls or wet exits. I chose to just take pictures and video!

Sue and Jordan planned to do rolls. Bea wanted to test the dryness of her own gear during a wet exit.

Bea and our safety boater, Christian in the foreground with Jordan helping Sue in the background at the dock.

Sue was the first one to perform a roll. See the video at this Vimeo link. http://vimeo.com/32176565

Sue after her roll.

Bea waiting for Jordan to do his roll.

Jordan getting ready to roll.

Bea, Sue and Christian waiting for Jordan to roll.

Video of Jordan rolling. http://vimeo.com/32176741

Deborah watching from the dock and Kevin and Tracey watching from the water.

Kevin and Tracey.

Bea doing her wet exit.

Jordan and Sue helping Bea with an assisted rescue.

Christian, Sue, Bea and Jordan.

We all had a great time and I'm sure we learned something.

Sue, Bea and I stopped at "Not Your Average Joes" in Norwell for PPR on the way home to complete a fun day.

Norm
TraceyJ

Re: CRCK Cold Water Clinic - 11/12/11

Post by TraceyJ »

Norm,

Outstanding pictures!
It's too bad no one got a picture of you
with all your gear.
Oh, wait. Maybe Bea did and she'll add to this later.
Bea???
Valley Aquanaut / white-on-white
P&H Delphin 150 Surf / Yellow
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Never has so much money has been spent on attire that makes us looks so unflattering, but at safer. :P

Great Pictures!!

Sue congratulations again on your roll in warm and cold water!!!

Bea, thank you for gathering the flock together for this :D Fun day!!
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan
centered
antispam: No

Post by centered »

Hey All,
Norm, thanks once again for documenting another fun day! I'm looking forward to the next time we can all get together to paddle, or if Bea has her way, to CC ski! Jordan, if I could come out of the water as fast as you, I wouldn't need a dry suit. Glad your shoulder is back in business.
Sue
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

Team work required to get into all our gear
IMG_5194.JPG
IMG_5194.JPG (179.05 KiB) Viewed 8182 times

Cartoon characters come to mind.....teletubbies?
IMG_5196.JPG
IMG_5196.JPG (227.59 KiB) Viewed 8182 times

Our instructor Kevin covered alot of stuff such as the "umbles" - stumble, mumble, grumble -stage 2 hypothermia.
IMG_5198.JPG
IMG_5198.JPG (164.22 KiB) Viewed 8182 times

Awesome to get the opportunity to test my new cold water gear in a controlled setting. We were in good hands with Kevin and Christian
IMG_5199.JPG
IMG_5199.JPG (129.13 KiB) Viewed 8182 times

Great day everyone. So much fun to do this as a group, and I think we all learned alot (although I have a feeling Jordan knew most of it already!)
Looking forward to some cold water kayaking. Have not put the boat away yet, and will stay on the water into the "silly season".

Bea
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)