Hingham, Saturday, 5/19/12

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Hingham, Saturday, 5/19/12

Post by norm »

A few of us got together at Hingham for a little kayak outfitting help from Jordan and a short daytime paddle around World's End. We met at about 9:00am Saturday morning. It seemed quite different being in Hingham in the morning instead of in the evening. No blinding, setting sun.

Tracey noticed a duck and ducklings near shore so I grabbed my camera and got a picture as they left.

The water was very calm and the rowing clubs were enjoying the morning calm.

Tracey got another used boat. Jordan did some outfitting for her. He repaired and adjusted the seat back strap and replaced the padding on the thigh hooks. Then Tracey checked it for fit on the beach.

I wasn't expecting to do any work on my new boat, but I mentioned to Jordan that my knees were hitting the bare fiberglass under the deck and he found some thin foam and fitted it for me. Thanks Jordan!

Pat arrived a little later, knowing that there was going to be a little outfitting before the paddle and eventually we hit the water and went for a little paddle.

Out near the point of World's End, another group of rowers went by.

We rounded the corner and went in toward Steamboat Wharf Marina. On the way back out, we stopped for a short break on the Weir River side of World's End.

The daytime warmth was getting to Pat who was in his new Semi-dry top and he needed to take it off and cool down before melting.

Jordan and I stayed on the water.

Here is a topo map of the area with our track highlighted.

A few specs from the trip:

Launch time: 10:06am
Take-out time: 12:54pm
Total Distance Paddled: 6.86 miles

Norm
Birdseye

Re: Hingham, Saturday, 5/19/12

Post by Birdseye »

What happened to Tracey's other boat or is this just a new one in her growing fleet?
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
kmbgolf
antispam: No

Post by kmbgolf »

just wondering what program you use to track your trip reports
norm

Post by norm »

kmbgolf wrote:just wondering what program you use to track your trip reports

I use an old handheld Magellan Explorist XL GPS to save the track of each trip. Then I upload the track to the Magellan MapSend Topo 3D software on a PC for viewing and make an image to use in the trip report.

There are probably easier methods these days with newer GPS models and software. There are even features in Google Earth for uploading GPS tracks from Garmin and Magellan, but it does not seem to work with my model.

The Google Earth tracks that Briggsy posts with his trip reports are approximations that he draws in with the tools they provide, they are not generated by actual GPS track data.

Norm
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

Birdseye wrote:What happened to Tracey's other boat or is this just a new one in her growing fleet?

Growing fleet :D She's taking after Norm :P
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan