A Slither Down Cove Brook

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

Birdseye

A Slither Down Cove Brook

Post by Birdseye »

Reminiscent of our <a href="http://www.wtpaddlers.org/trips-12.html" target="_blank">Scorton's Creek</a> trip last year the only thing missing from our trip down Cove Brook was Chip and the never ending anticipation that Barnstable Harbor was just around the next bend (sorry Steve, I had to throw that in there :D ).

Steven, Pat and I met at the Union St. Canoe Launch at 5:45 and were in the water just after 6PM. The tide was almost high but there was still enough mud around to dirty up the inside of our boats. The possibility of rain was predicted but the way it's been lately, if we stay off the water ever time it looks like rain we may never paddle again.

We headed down river against the incoming tide and under the Union Street bridge. Steve and Pat have paddled this part of the river before but this was my first time past Union St. and it's always nice to paddle somewhere you haven't been before. The mix of clouds with the setting sun cast some interesting and eerie shadows on the river. We passed a couple of guys fishing from the shore hoping to catch a couple of evening strippers and noticed the increase in moored boats on the river as we approach the summer season. Before long we came to the opening of Cove Brook. Steven had paddled this brook once before but said the tide was much lower then. We should be able to make it pretty far back before having to turn around today, he thought. As we turned into Cove Brook we looked back to see beams of sunrays pouring through the clouds and we all wished one of us had brought their camera.

It didn't take long before we reached the first of many turns and we soon learned that Cove Brook is a great place for turning practice. The current helped to make it a bit more challenging as well. The further we paddled the taller the reeds became. The red-winged blackbirds were plentiful and you could here their distinct call echoing throughout the marshland. But other than an occasional mallard or a lone cormorant we didn't see as much wildlife as this brook is noted for.

Before long it began to shower which I gladly welcomed since I was starting to get warm but it didn't last long and the sun was soon out again. We continued our slither through the snakelike tributary until we finally reach a point where we could go no further. Steve tried to see if he could forge his way through the dense thicket of reeds but decided it wasn't worth the effort and backed out.

We reversed our direction and prepared for more turning practice but the current was more in our favor this time. As we neared the North River the sky had that mysterious look that is often seen after a rain shower and Pat asked "Where's the rainbow?" We all looked around but it was nowhere to be found only to appear a few minutes later and once again we were sorry no one had brought a camera with them.

We paddled back against the outgoing tide and it was stronger now than it was on the way out. As we neared Union St. I saw a happy fisherman on the bank land what could have been a small stripper. We weren't exactly sure how the current would be at the bridge but it wasn't long before it was upon us and we found it a little challenging but manageable.

We got our boats and gear loaded up and talked for a while without the benefit of a post paddle refreshment which I should have brought but forgot because I was in such a rush (sorry guys).

Although its always nice to get out on the water with friends I won't be in a huge hurry to get back to Cove Brook anytime soon and am already looking forward to the more exciting adventures of the sea.....
Last edited by Birdseye on Mon May 22, 2006 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
Chip

Post by Chip »

I can't believe noone had a camera. You guys always have your camera. I know you have missed nice shots before trying to forecast mother nature. We saw a huge rainbow after the storm yesterday.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Nice report, Nelson. I added a link to it in the North River Paddling Spots page.

And fwiw, I <i>did</i> bring my camera, but it's one of those rare ones that doesn't like the rain, so I elected not to pull it out.
Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
getnoutside

Post by getnoutside »

Thanks for the report, Nelson. Not the most exciting trip... but the occassional relaxed paddle is still a good stress reliever.