Surfin' Safari. Weds 22nd August 2012.

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

Briggsy

Surfin' Safari. Weds 22nd August 2012.

Post by Briggsy »

Having bought a P&H Delphin surf boat and taken a surf lesson, I desperately wanted to find some surf to play in. I knew there was some board surfing areas off Westport so I asked for some advice on the WTP General Discussion forum. I got some excellent replies and advice (thanks everyone) so I posted a trip plan to which Norm, Sue and Greg replied. Magic Seaweed showed 1.5" swell, not much, but being new to reading surf reports I didn't know how that would relate to actual conditions.
We met at Gooseberry Neck at the end of Horseneck Beach, Westport at 9am and the weather was warm and calm and the ocean was as flat as a pancake. Perfect for a days paddle, not so great for searching out some surf spots. Anyhow we packed and launched from the small boat ramp on the east side of Gooseberry Neck and paddled around towards Horseneck Beach.
There were some rocks that looked like they might be fun on a rougher day but other than that it was FLAT. Cuttyhunk and the Elizabeth Islands looked close and inviting.....another day perhaps.
Desperate to find any wave we hugged the beach but barely a ripple. About halfway along at a place recommended was Bakers Beach where there were some board (bored !) surfers, where there was a little action but the waves were breaking close to shore. Even the surfers only just got to stand up before the ride was over. A little further was a deserted stretch of beach with some swell breaking a little further out. On the beach was a lone elderly gentleman so I thought we would be safe surfing here as there was no-one else around and no-one swimming. After the second nice ride in he decided to spoil the show and take a swim !!.
Contiuing westwards we crossed the mouth of the Westport and headed over to Braytons Point where Mark had assured me there would be surf !!. As we approached the point sure enough there were some breaking waves offshore. We watched for a while then took the plunge and caught the the first wave that came along. Got an excellent ride in, nice glassy swell and the wave dissipated before it got to shore, just as promised by Mark. We probably spent an hour there getting ride after ride and having way too much fun.
At lunchtime we landed on a deserted beach close to the point and soaked up the sun. I had to get back early so we took a direct line back to Gooseberry Neck which we could see way off on the horizon.
Norm and Sue decided to continue their paddling day and explored the east side of Gooseberry Neck.
I took no pictures and have no stats for the trip but had a blast. Greg and I returned the following week and spent most of the day there, same surf forecast same conditions.
Briggsy
Mark

Re: Surfin' Safari. Weds 22nd August 2012.

Post by Mark »

Magic Seaweed's forecasts tend to be more optimistic the longer range they are. If you use the current day's forecast, divide by two. :roll: