Mystic River - November 18, 2012

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Mystic River - November 18, 2012

Post by norm »

I'm not sure who came up with the idea of paddling the Mystic River, but when Bea and I talked about it while carpooling to other trips, we both thought it was a good idea for this time of year. I did some research and asked around about the river and it still seemed like a good spot so I started watching the weather and asking around about who was available and interested. At first, the weather looked better for Saturday than Sunday but only in that it was sunnier Saturday. By the end of the week, at decision time, the weather forecast was just about identical for both days. I chose Sunday because Sue was not available Saturday and I knew she's been dying to get back out on the water.

It turned out to be a fantastic day weather-wise as long as you stayed out in the sun. There were six die-hards willing to brave the chilly temperature: me, Bea, Sue, Ken R, Abby and Steve. The thermometer on Ken's truck mirror read 34 degrees when we arrived at the put-in. That's when we really wanted to stay in the sun!

Thank goodness the wind was almost non-existent most of the day. But, it's still pretty chilly to change into your paddling gear and load your boat when it's only in the 30's. We didn't measure the water temperature but everyone was sure they didn't want to go without hand protection to start the day. We either had gloves or pogies and I think a couple people used both.

The put-in spot I picked from the Mystic River Watershed website was simple to get to from the highway but it was a little tight for launching six boats at the same time...no beach area.

But the water level was a little low, giving us a little bit of shallows around the ramp, so we were all able to squeeze our boats into the water and get comfortable. It's so much fun to try to get the spray skirt attached while wearing gloves.

We talked before launching and agreed to head up-river to Mystic Lakes first, so we headed northwest.

The first boats we came across were at Riverside Yacht Club in Medford. It looked like the ones left in the water would be spending the winter there. A few were shrink-wrapped and one seemed to be testing its water bubbler that keeps ice from crushing the hull.

Paddling along route 16.

There were tons of bridges of all types on this paddle. I probably took a picture (or 5) of every one. I like the stone work and arches and shapes and shadows, so you're going to see a lot of them in this trip report.

This first bridge was odd. It offered a few passages with low overhangs if you wanted to do the paddling limbo. A couple people approaching from the right side of the river didn't notice that the far left opening was much higher so that larger boats could make it further up-river.

Next was a very sturdy footbridge.

Both sides of a bridge showing the contrast in lighting.

It was a little surprising how many large birds we came across in such an urban area. There were many great blue herons, swans and geese. The great blue herons didn't allow us to get very close so I was unable to get a clear picture of any of them with my little waterproof camera. But I kept trying.

Behind Abby is Condon Shell in Medford on Mystic Valley Parkway. I had to look it up, didn't know it was there till I saw it. It looks like a much smaller version of the Hatch Shell.

Did you ever notice how fast swans paddle? This one seemed a little annoyed that I was passing him.

Sue and Bea kept falling behind, chatting and taking pictures. Someone up front looked back and asked if they were racing?

This bridge looks like an oval tunnel if you look at it just right.

Bridges under bridges...

A nine month old puppy that had not seen sea kayaks before.

The water looks a little messy here with all the leaves floating on the surface and some underwater plants sticking up from below. There were many spots we paddled through that had a lot of undergrowth, just below the surface, that seemed to be dying away for the winter, but was still big enough to grab our paddles once in a while. The amount of plant life on the river's edges is visible from Google Earth satellite views when you zoom in close.

Most of the houses along the river are set back from the water with "green-space" and parks along much of the area.

Ken and Steve taking it easy waiting for all us picture takers to catch up.

All caught up and paddling together for a few minutes...

Interesting oval shadows.

Another failed shot of a great blue heron that was framed in the previous bridge shot.

As we reached Lower Mystic Lake, we crossed paths with a man in a canoe smoking a cigar. I think I smelled him before I saw him.

Lower Mystic Lake heading toward the dam.

Sluice gates in the dam between Upper and Lower Mystic Lakes. It looks like there is also a portage trail to the right.

The bigger dam sluice gates with some water flowing.

Medford Boat Club located on the top of the dam with access to both Upper and Lower Mystic Lakes.

Views of Upper Mystic Lake from the top of the dam starting to the right and moving left.

Two views of Lower Mystic Lake from the top of the dam, right to left.

The top of the dam is gated above the sluice gates. It looked like there is access across the dam to the boat club when it is open for the season. There was a combo lock with the boat club's name on it.

The boat club has a few coyote statues to scare geese away from their decks.

Bea getting a close-up picture of one of the coyotes.

I think Bea was talking to Ken about skiing. Ken was planning to ski the day after this kayak trip.

Leg stretch break and snack time just about over. Time to get back in the boats and head back down river. Originally I thought we'd be able to paddle another couple miles to the top of Upper Mystic Lake and we'd stop for lunch here, but that was before I realized there was a dam between the lakes. From the satellite view, I originally thought the dam and sluice gates were a bridge and we'd be able to paddle through. After viewing the upper lake from the dam, it looked like "more of the same" and not worth making the portage. We felt our time would be better spent exploring the other end of the river down near the locks.

Back on the water. A look at the Medford Boat Club docks on Lower Mystic Lake, beside the dam sluice gates.

A look at the other side of the bridges...

Another try to get a good shot of a great blue heron.

Bridges, bridges, bridges.

A reminder that we're paddling in cities.

These guys in the canoe couldn't find their second paddle, so they improvised.

From behind I didn't realize they had a child in the boat with them.

There are a few houses right on the water with their own private docks, but not many.

Bea up close and personal with a swan.

Framed by a bridge.

A little color.

Sue and Bea still hangin' together.

Going under I93.

Back at the Riverside Yacht Club. A little warmer now and water like glass.

Too late for foliage, but still some nice late fall color to be seen.

Paddling beside I93 and route 16.

The route 16, Mystic Valley Parkway bridge.

It was getting close to lunch time so we started looking for a park to land at.

Across from where we put in, I knew there was a park but didn't know if there was a good place to land. Eventually we found a good spot and got out for lunch.

We took a walk up into the open to stay in the sunshine and find a couple benches to sit on.

A look around the Mystic River Reservation.

One of our lunch benches.

Abby and Steve headed home but the rest of us continued on a little further down river to check out the locks and old canal.

There was a large flock of swans right by the park.

Another possible launch spot is a public boat ramp near Wellington T station and the Mystic Wellington Yacht Club.

An Orange Line train crossed over in front of us near the Winter Hill Yacht Club.

The Mystic River Locks.

Ken takes a closer look at the biggest of the 3 locks.

Ken thought about towing this pull cart / wheel barrow home with him.

There were some colorful trees in this area also.

This old draw bridge looked like it no longer opens. The window in the tower were boarded up.

There were Canadian geese on the river as well as all the swans and great blue herons.

Trees to match our favorite color boats.

The Tufts University Boat House. No docks left in the water. I guess they've stopped training for the year.

Splashes of white birch trees always seem to catch my attention.

A modern bridge just doesn't compare to the old stone bridges.

The end of our trip up the canal. A boom blocked our progress and wasn't worth crossing with all the trash and dirt on the other side of it. We could see the end anyway.

Turning around to head back to the take-out.

Paddling four across, a contrast in brightness from one picture to the next as we pass under a bridge.

A last look at the color of the weeping willows.

Near the locks, a commuter rail train passed on a high track giving us a silhouette shot.

Here is a Google Earth picture of our actual GPS track.

A few specs from the trip:

Launch time: 8:55am
Stop at Mystic Lakes: 10:25am Distance: 4.78 miles
Depart Mystic Lakes: 10:55am
Lunch stop at Mystic River Reservation: 12:17pm Distance: 9.37 miles
Depart Mystic River Reservation: 1:04pm
Take out: 2:39pm Distance: 14.43 miles

Thanks for joining me on such a chilly day Bea, Sue, Ken, Abby and Steve. I think it turned out better than any of us expected after such a cold start. It was a beautiful day for a paddle. I hope we get a few more this year.

Norm
Ken R
antispam: No

Re: Mystic River - November 18, 2012

Post by Ken R »

Hey Norm,
Great report! Thanks for your effort researching the area and posting the trip.
KR