Stonington Maine - 4th of July - 2013

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Stonington Maine - 4th of July - 2013

Post by norm »

Here is the 4th installment for my week of camping in Stonington Maine with the Boston AMC group. The day started with a group breakfast at the Harbor Cafe in Stonington, then a visit to the Deer Isle Granite Museum. Next we paddled to Crotch Island where there is still an active granite quarry operation and finally, a few of us took a ride on the campground's lobster boat in the evening to watch the Stonington fireworks.

Seeing and hearing the fireworks from the water was quite different. There is an incredible echo when you're out amongst the islands. I wonder if it was the same for those watching on shore in town. The fireworks reflection off the water was special too. Well worth the cost (I think it was $25). Looking at how dark it was on the return to the campground after the finale, I can't imagine trying to paddle over to town from the campground to watch from a kayak. I shot some video and then cut it down to a 2 minute highlight clip which I've uploaded to Facebook and Vimeo. It's not something you can really capture well, but try to imagine the echo from listening to the clip and look at the reflection off the still water. The link for Vimeo is listed at the bottom.

Please use the link below to enjoy pictures on Facebook that should be accessible to anyone, even if you do not have a Facebook account. Please read the comments included with the pictures for more information.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 54e114e961

When you are done looking at the photos, below is the link to the fireworks video on Vimeo:

http://vimeo.com/70817715
kayakerjnj

Re: Stonington Maine - 4th of July - 2013

Post by kayakerjnj »

Great pictures Norm!

Thanks for sharing them :D
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan