Boston Harbor - Oct 30

Trip reports that don't have a page dedicated to them.

Moderator: Chip

rcasewst

Post by rcasewst »

Too bad Ellen,
Actually I went out in boston harbor ~ 9:00 what a beautiful morning! no clouds, the sun was just over 10deg over the horizon.
A cruise ship was passing the graves and it looked like it was suspended in mid air. As it was dead low tide the graves was sticking out furhter than I'd ever seen it.
I put in from the beach by the Kennedy library and paddle right to Dorchester Bay. I passed over the neck that separates
Thompson IS. from Dorchester. Only 6" of water there.
Very calm most of the way but cunfusing wake and reflected waves made it some of the passages a little unnerving.
Under the bridge towards Rainsford IS. Half way there I realized I was at my half time point and it was time to return.
Back under the bridge I noticed quite a few fisherman by Spectacle IS. When I got closer I saw the water boiling with blue fish. The gulls were hovering over different spots as the blue chased the bait fish around the rip. I pulled onto the beach to wa tch for a bit and get a pic of the graves.
The criuse ship was now pulling in to the Black Falcon Pier and the fire boat had all line spraying in the air. I wondered if they did that for all arrivals?
I finished my snack and got back on the water heading towards Castle IS. as I was passing now 11:00 I heard cannon and tried to count the reports. I think I started counting late as I heard 9.
All this time there were planes taking off and landing at Logan. I did not notice the silence untill it was broken by a pair of F16s flying information coming over the Prudential Center! the banked and came right over Castle IS. and continued out over the water. If anyone knows what the event was yesterday I would like to know.
Running late from gawking at the show I leaned into my paddling as I stroked for the beach. Out at 11:10 and heading home wishing someone had shared this with me.
I have some pics I will try to add when I download from my camera.
Roy
PS Pat, feel free to move to trip report. or if you want I can cut and paste a new entry.
Bruise the body...
Heal the soul

P&H Capella 166 RM
12.5 old town Castaway
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hey Roy, are you sure they were bluefish? I'd love to hear that there are still schools of blues around, but all I've seen lately are little schoolie stripers.

Mark
rcasewst

Post by rcasewst »

The guys said they were blues and you didn't even need a line- just gaff them, they were so close and active.
Roy
Bruise the body...
Heal the soul

P&H Capella 166 RM
12.5 old town Castaway
Finn McCool

Post by Finn McCool »

Blues are still swarming the inner harbor islands and inlets this week. From the commuter boat this morning, I could see them thrashing up the surface in Hewitts Cove and between Long Island and Spectacle Island...not a single boat there to haul them in.

Last night, it was virtually non-stop from Castle Island all the way down to Hingham. The word was out apparently. Boats working the schools the whole way.
Alla har rätt till min åsikt!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hmm, sounds like a Wednesday evening Hingham paddle may be in my immediate future. Anybody want to join me, 5PM launch?