Weweantic River to Wareham Harbor - 7/9/11 - 1:00pm

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Weweantic River to Wareham Harbor - 7/9/11 - 1:00pm

Post by norm »

Anybody interested in exploring the Weweantic River Saturday afternoon? I have not paddled in this area so it is new to me. I paddled upstream a little bit years ago, but did not venture out toward open water as I plan to on this trip. Will probably paddle 9 - 12 miles. I might go up a couple feeder streams if they look interesting or might just stay in the larger part of the river if the air is stifling hot in the side creeks.

The launch spot is a boat ramp in a rest area on route I-195 between exits 20 and 21 northbound. I think it is only accessible from the northbound side of the road so if you are heading south, you have to go down to exit 20 to turn around and catch the rest area on the way back north. Arrive at 1:00pm and launch at 1:30. Tide is high in Wareham at about 4:00pm, so there should be plenty of water at the ramp at 1:30pm...I assume.

This is the same trip that the AMC is planning to do on Wednesday, 7/13. I would just join them, but I have other plans for that day.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat.
Ability to paddle over 10 miles.

Please reply if you are coming so I'll know to wait for you. (I could also decide to cancel without notice if nobody replies, but I'll more likely just do the trip alone.)
cgr

Re: Weweantic River to Wareham Harbor - 7/9/11 - 1:00pm

Post by cgr »

Norm, I paddled out of that ramp 3 or 4 yrs ago. I think that I paddled out to a beach just before the Stony Point Dyke. I did it in late sep or early oct so there was little water traffic but the water was still warm.
Karen F.

Post by Karen F. »

Norm, I'm interested in doing this trip with you. Do you want to car pool, or shall I meet you there?.....................Karen
Karen F
norm

Post by norm »

Karen,

Glad you are going to join me. Can you just meet me there please? Thanks. See you at 1:00.

Norm
Surge_on

Post by Surge_on »

Never knew this place existed. I'll have to put this on my list for weekday paddles.
Unfortunately, I can't make it today.

Mike
Karen F.

Post by Karen F. »

okay see you there. Not sure how long it will take me to get there, so wait for me.
Karen F