Spectacle Island from Wollaston, Saturday, 5/26/12 - 10:00am

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Spectacle Island from Wollaston, Saturday, 5/26/12 - 10:00am

Post by norm »

Saturday weather forecast sounds pretty good. I'd like to launch from Wollaston Beach at about 10:30am. Tide will be low, but I think there will be enough water to avoid the mud if we pick a good spot along the beach to launch from. The trip directly to Spectacle would only be about 4 miles, so I'm thinking it would be nice to swing out and around Gallups and Long Islands if the wind is not bad and if participants want to add a little distance and make it an 8 or 9 mile first leg. If some want to go directly to Spectacle, they could cut the distance in half.

Once on Spectacle, I'd like to do a hike to the top of the drumlin closer to Boston Harbor to see if there is a spot that would be nice for viewing the 4th of July Tall Ships Parade and generally check out the whole island for a couple of hours rather than a just a quick lunch stop.

The paddle back could be by a more direct route, or, the tide may be high enough to take a spin around Thompson Island if people are interested in that.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat.
Ability to paddle 10 to 15 miles. Plan to be out for 5 to 7 hours. Bring lunch and snacks.
The water is still pretty cold - proper clothing and gear for cold water temps required!

Please respond if you plan to attend.

Here's a rough outline of the route I'm thinking of. This is about 13 miles. A swing around Thompson on the way back would add about 3 miles to the return leg.

rkhederian

Re: Spectacle Island from Wollaston, Saturday, 5/26/12 - 10:

Post by rkhederian »

Norm,

Sounds like a good trip, I am in.

Can you post directions, or something we can I mapquest or google for exact directions. Also, any information on parking.

Bob
pat
Site Admin

Post by pat »

Image Impex Currituck
Pat Traynor - site admin
pat@ssih.com
Sandy V
antispam: No

Post by Sandy V »

Count me in. The skeg in my kayak is fixed, so I should be able to paddle again instead of canoeing!!!
Archee

Post by Archee »

I'm in too, I wrote to Paul B and Jay as well so if those respond we take them along
norm

Post by norm »

Looks like it's going to be a scorcha! Bring plenty of water and sun block. And somebody please remind me to put my sunblock ON...I forgot last Sunday and burnt my ears again.

It seems we have a group of at least 5 committed and a possibility of 3 to 5 more joining us. It's looking like its going to be a great day on the water.

I'll try to get to Wollaston beach early and pick out a parking spot between "Tony's" and the "Clam Box" where there are plenty of spaces and an easy spot to get over the sea wall...or near a ramp. Watch for my truck - I'll leave my yellow Cetus on top to make it easy to spot.
Aquaholic

Post by Aquaholic »

I'll be there!

Audrey
wildwoman

Post by wildwoman »

Hi Norm,
My workload cooperated and I'd like to join you tomorrow. I can't think of any place I'd rather be than on the water with you guys tomorrow!

See you at Wollaston!
Barb
Sandy V

Post by Sandy V »

Changed my mind. It's to gusty out there for my liking, hear that's not supposed to change until late PM.
Rather try to join you on Monday.
So that leaves me to start the prepwork to refinish my deck :-(
Sandy