Hingham to Gallups, Calf, Peddocks - Thursday - Aug. 9, 2012

Follow the planning and aftermath of WT trips.

Moderator: Chip

norm

Hingham to Gallups, Calf, Peddocks - Thursday - Aug. 9, 2012

Post by norm »

Planning to visit a few islands we missed last week during a camping trip due to evening rainstorms.

This will be an all day trip, with the intent to return in time to also join the regular Thursday evening paddle in Hingham Harbor.

Arrive at Hingham Harbor at about 7:30am
Launch by 8:00am
Travel out around Peddocks via West Gut, swing by Rainsford and land at Gallups for a 45 minute look around. (7.8m)
At about 11:15am, head out to Calf Island for lunch and exploration, stay noon to 1:30pm. (10.3m)
Next, swing by Georges and through Hull Gut on the Peddocks side and stop there to check out construction progress. (14.3m)
Leave Peddocks by about 4:15 to get back to Hingham by 5:30-6:00pm. (18.5m)

This will be a long paddle but with 3 breaks for exploring. Possible thunderstorms, but plenty of places to take refuge if necessary. Tide will be with us most of the time.

Wet exit/Rescue skills are required.
I would recommend at least a 15 foot boat with front and rear bulkheads and spray skirt.
Ability to paddle 18 - 19 miles at a minimum 3mph pace.
Bring a lunch, snacks and lots of water and sunscreen.

Please respond if you plan to attend. Below is a Google maps snapshot of the proposed track.

Norm

Ron

Re: Hingham to Gallups, Calf, Peddocks - Thursday - Aug. 9,

Post by Ron »

If my alarm clock still works, I will be there.
Image P&H Cetus HV
centered
antispam: No

Post by centered »

I'm in, too
Sue
rkhederian

Post by rkhederian »

Can't miss a day exploring islands. See you then.
Bob
norm

Post by norm »

Ok, see you all at 7:30am. Hope Bea can make it too. She's supposed to be returning from a trip today, so hopefully she can ignore the laundry when she gets back and come out and join us.
mtnbiker26
antispam: No

Post by mtnbiker26 »

I'm in as well.
~Greg
NorwayLady

Post by NorwayLady »

norm wrote:Ok, see you all at 7:30am. Hope Bea can make it too. She's supposed to be returning from a trip today, so hopefully she can ignore the laundry when she gets back and come out and join us.

Still doing laundry, Norm, after pulling in after dark last night. I am sure you guys tried to send me a text from Calf, but my cell slowly died yesterday after being stuck in a very salty and wet kayak when I blew 12 rolls in a row (and only nailed one!!)
Bea
Proud foster mother of Athena (P&H Cetus LV turquoise-white)
cgr

Post by cgr »

But you nailed one! Congrats & keep at it.
norm

Post by norm »

NorwayLady wrote:
norm wrote:Ok, see you all at 7:30am. Hope Bea can make it too. She's supposed to be returning from a trip today, so hopefully she can ignore the laundry when she gets back and come out and join us.

Still doing laundry, Norm, after pulling in after dark last night. I am sure you guys tried to send me a text from Calf, but my cell slowly died yesterday after being stuck in a very salty and wet kayak when I blew 12 rolls in a row (and only nailed one!!)

We missed you today Bea. We were too busy running away from the DCR, State Police and swarms of mosquitoes to send any wise-guy text messages.

You need a faster washing machine...so you could have at least come out and joined us for the Thursday night paddle. Sue and I did 24 miles today. Ron probably did about 21. Greg and Bob did 18.
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

You need a faster washing machine...so you could have at least come out and joined us for the Thursday night paddle. Sue and I did 24 miles today. Ron probably did about 21. Greg and Bob did 18.

So you left Ron and the others out there? :shock:
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
norm

Post by norm »

Birdseye wrote:

So you left Ron and the others out there? :shock:

They just weren't fast enough to get away from the State Police boat. :twisted:
Birdseye

Post by Birdseye »

norm wrote:They just weren't fast enough to get away from the State Police boat. :twisted:

Can I assume we will hear all the details soon?
P&H Quest LV - Yellow/white/blue
norm

Post by norm »

Birdseye wrote:
norm wrote:They just weren't fast enough to get away from the State Police boat. :twisted:

Can I assume we will hear all the details soon?

I'm sure Ron would be glad to tell you all the details if you go over and bail him out of jail. :lol:
Mark

Post by Mark »

norm

Post by norm »

There were no signs on the side of the island that we approached from. We did notice some signs when we took a break at the former pier area. We were just starting to leave when a DCR boat approached from the direction of Georges Island. A Ranger on the boat called me over and informed me that you cannot land on this island and I told him we were leaving. As I spoke with him, the rest of the group had proceeded back to the boats and found a State Police boat approaching from the direction of Long Island and they were given the same message. Now we wonder what is really going on at Gallups Island to elicit a response from 2 state agencies within 15 minutes of the time we arrived on the island?

I'll be crossing Gallups off my bucket list of islands to visit and advise others not to stop there for any reason. No need to waste the tax-payers money with police boat response for a leg-stretching break again. I'm sure there are other things the state will find to waste our money on. :roll:
Chip

Post by Chip »

Did the Statees have a water ski patrol. That may be why they wanted toget there so fast.
Current Designs Solstice GTS
Placid Boatworks Rapidfire
Mark

Post by Mark »

The official story:

THE KEEP-OUT sign on the dock at Gallops Island evokes the late 19th century, when new immigrants suspected of harboring infectious diseases were quarantined on the 23-acre island in Boston Harbor. But it’s not the fear of cholera or small pox that spooks visitors today. It’s friable asbestos that prevents the public from stepping foot on the island.

Gallops is part of the Boston Harbor Islands National Recreation Area, an urban archipelago of 34 islands scattered across 50 square miles of Boston Harbor. Gallops has been closed to the public since 2000, when state environmental officials determined that transite — a combination of asbestos and cement formerly used for fireproofing building materials— was present on parts of the island that had hosted WW II-era military training facilities. In the 1950s, work crews demolished the buildings and buried the debris. But a half-century later, the ground cover has eroded, exposing the kinds of materials linked to lung disease.
norm

Post by norm »

Chip wrote:Did the Statees have a water ski patrol. That may be why they wanted to get there so fast.

I refuse to make any disparaging remarks about our State Troopers. I'll complain about government waste, but I'm not saying anything negative about guys out there doing their jobs...

...but here is a picture to answer your question:

IMG_0251.JPG
IMG_0251.JPG (37.83 KiB) Viewed 20722 times
norm

Post by norm »

Mark wrote:The official story:
In the 1950s, work crews demolished the buildings and buried the debris. But a half-century later, the ground cover has eroded, exposing the kinds of materials linked to lung disease.

So there's no real plan now. They'll just wait till the problem blows away since the ground cover is gone?
kayakerjnj

Post by kayakerjnj »

At a cost of thousands per cubic yard to dispose, after you get it off the island, it would be another Big Dig, and nearly as expensive.

How long can you hold your breath when you're paddling? :roll:
Paddle with a big smile, its contagious 8)

Jordan